#1. ACCOUNTABILITY: Anybody can call themselves an editor these days, but even if they have the right skills, it doesn’t mean they’ll do a good job. I’ve heard too many horror stories of editors who ghosted clients or provided shoddy work, leaving writers out of pocket with no recourse for a refund. We have one of the best refund policies in the industry and take personal responsibility for every project, which means – if clients aren’t happy with the work, we’ll do everything in our power to fix it.
#2. YOUR BEST BOOK: nearly every other copy editor or editing service focuses on the writing and the mistakes. They will improve the flow of the words and sentences, and they will make it better, but they won’t fix the major problems with content. Our editors have been trained in the Write Good BooksTM method to make sure your book is commercially sound and will resonate with your audience on a deeper level. For nonfiction we focus on branding, credibility, trust, so your readers will take action and see results. For fiction, we focus on universal story telling principles, plot structure, dramatic tension and suspense, and world-building. Because a clean book isn’t always a good book.
#3. 99% ACCURACY: We use a unique two-tiered process, implementing the latest in machine-learning software and manual expertise to make sure your book is 99% clean of typos and errors (the standard benchmark for editing is 95% accuracy, but we’re not comfortable leaving 5% of your mistakes).
LET US PROVE IT
Choosing an editor is a big decision. We want to make it easy.
Send us a sample of your book. Our caffeine-fueled, eagle-eyed editors will go through it and then email you with their comments and suggestions. You can ask them any questions you want. They will look for…
- Typos and grammatical errors
- Spelling and word choice issues
- Punctuation and style
- Word choice, clarity and flow
- Big picture story structure
- Plot holes & potential issues
- Strong narrative voice
- Audience and genre conventions
- Sense of purpose and direction
- Weak writing and characters
- Sentence structure and craft
- Consistency and continuity
If your writing is already clean, then they’ll discuss bigger picture things with you, like theme, concept, purpose, audience, potential market and branding (including title, subtitle, and tagline or elevator pitch).
Once you feel comfortable and confident in an editor’s expertise, skill and knowledge, and are ready to move ahead, we’ll send an invoice for the first half of the total word count so the editor can get started. We’ll charge the rest when the project is close to completion.